Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Finding Family Abroad

Any picture of my time in India would be incomplete without sharing about my brothers and sisters in JC that walk this journey beside me.  We go to English movies at the mall together.  We tell each other where we found a new shop that sells peanut butter or cheese in the city.  We celebrate birthdays and American holidays together.  But most importantly we share our burdens with one another in prayer, worship together, and encourage each other.

Technically we are all business partners (well, I’m more of an intern), exporting spices to the US.  But as I think about our relationships, more than business partners, I see family and friends.  In fact, each of the team members fills a role similar to my family members back home. 


First we have Auntie and Uncle; they are like my parents.  They worry for my safety far more than I do.  I’m pretty independent from them, but I let them know when I make big plans.  I love sharing successes with them, and I know that they are understanding and helpful when I encounter struggles or failures.

Then I’ve got my big brother.  Just like my real brother, I see him as an authority on what the Word says.  I ask him questions and always get deep, scholarly wisdom in return.  My “big brother’s” wife, is one of my closest friends.  Like most close friends of mine that know me well, things like personality types, my dislike for dogs, and how to have godly relationships are frequent topics of conversation.  She teaches me through speech and by example how to be a godly wife.

My “big sister” is here too.  She even has two children very close in age to my niece and nephew.  She’s sharp-minded and an administrator at heart, like my sister.  I learn about the blessings and challenges of motherhood from our fellowship.  Just like my brother-in-law, her husband is kind and on the quiet side.

I knew I wouldn’t be able to finish writing this without crying.

And I can’t thank the Father enough for the close friend that I found in my roommate.   Sometimes I need to debrief the stresses of living in a different culture with my roommate daily, and she’s always there.  Sometimes, compared to her quiet spirit, I feel like I talk too much, but it’s a blessing to have someone listen and understand.

 Our team’s national partner (pictured above) reminds me so much of my best friend back home.  They are both spontaneous, a little charismatic,  and even have the same nick name!  I never thought that I would be able to get so close to one of my Indian friends because of the multitude of cultural differences, but we talk late into the night about matters of the heart and of faith.

This is my new family.  If I wanted to be an optimist, I would say, “No matter where I go, I will always have family.”  But if I wanted to see it another way; I will always be away from one of my families.  This dichotomy expresses well the emotions of my quickly-approaching end of term.  I can’t wait to hold my three-month old niece and there’s nothing like being home for Christmas.  But when I embrace one blessing, I’m letting go of another.  In ten weeks, I will leave, and they will stay here faithfully serving for years.  But unlike my real family, when I say goodbye to this family that has become so dear to me, I don’t know if I will ever see them again this side of heaven.  Regardless, they have become and always will be an important part of my life.

PRAISES
We’re getting two summer volunteer girls at the end of this month.
Since Easter, I’ve had several opportunities to share the Easter story again.
One of the hostel girls is considering being dunked! PTL!
In response to your pryrs from last month, we found a woman translator!

REQUESTS
Please ask that I can be a good encourager and teacher to our summer volunteer girls.
Ask that scheduling our trainings works out so that we can fit in an extra few before I leave in late July.
Ask for the women in our trainings to be faithful and courageous to share the Good News.
Ask for courage for the hostel girl who is considering being dunked.
Also ask for Sabrina and a few other hostel girls who are on the brink of following to commit to follow.

YOU KNOW YOU’RE IN SOUTH ASIA WHEN
There are dozens of different types of mangos to choose from
You can get a 30 minute massage for $10
Finding peanut butter M&Ms in the import store is like finding hidden treasure
You go on a safari and see a nilgai, a rare Asian antelope that looks like a mix between a black cow and a deer
The hotel manager tells you that the reason your window AC unit is not working is because there are whopping four ACs in the building running at once
You attend a profession cricket game
It takes you 30 minutes to walk from the parking lot to the cricket stadium
The security guard at the cricket stadium tells you that the following items that you are carrying are not allowed: coins, a pen, tissue paper, an empty water bottle, a safety pin, and your bag (it’s too large).

No comments:

Post a Comment