Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cumin Edition #2


I woke at 4:30 am Monday morning in Fort Scott, KS to begin my travels to the Middle East.  I met my partner for the summer in her home city of Houston, and we flew 15 hours (the longest flight I’ve ever flown) to Dubai.


Burka store in the mall.
In the airport in Dubai, we accidentally sat in the waiting area in front of the wrong gate.  But the Father had plans for us in front of gate 7.  We chose to sit next to a group of about five women covered head-to-toe in long, black burkas.  After a few minutes I overheard some of them speaking and thought that I recognized the language as Hindi.  Sure enough it was Hindi!  These Indian women were with their family on a pilgrimage to a Mlm holy site.  These women shared with me about their faith, and listened in turn as I shared.  But then it became clear that they were determined to convert me!  I realized that they were only listening to me in order to formulate a rebuttal, and their hearts were not open to the Good News.  Interestingly, they used some of the same analogies that I have taught before: “If someone was drowning, you’d save them right?  That is why I’m sharing this with you now.” Or “If you will just read the K, you will understand,” (I’ve always believed our Word is powerful).  It made me realize that just like they would never convince me with their arguments, I will never convince anyone with clever analogies or good stories.  Instead, it is only by a might act of the Father in their hearts, a true miracle.  That is what we must ask the Father for.

We realized that we were sitting in front of the wrong gate just in time and boarded our final flight.  It landed 1:00 am, local time, Wednesday in another Middle Eastern country.  The following day we traveled three hours by taxi, past four military check points, to our home for the summer.  English classes don’t start until June 8.  Until then, we are advertising for summer classes, learning some of the local language, meeting neighbors, pr walking, and preparing the school. 

Praises:
1. We made it safe, on time, and with all our luggage.  Also the customs/immigration process was very simple.
2. I got an opportunity to share the Good News with some Indian women in the airport.
3. The team here is very kind and welcoming.


Requests:
1. Since it is inappropriate to get to know men in this culture, please ask that there will be several women who enroll in our adult classes.  Also, please ask that we might befriend young women in our apartment complex.
2. Also, the children’s program enrollment is low right now. Please ask that enrollment will swell before classes start on June 8.
3. Please ask that the Sp would move, drawing the lost to Himself, bringing Good News conversations, and giving them courage to choose Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment