
Ramadan began Sunday.
The kids in my morning class showed up yawning and lethargic after
having woken up before 3 am to eat and pray before their daily fast began.
This is almost a welcome change because the
energy level of these middle school-aged students had been making classroom
management next to impossible. The five 12 to 14 year-old girls in my class
showed up with black scarves covering their heads. And one of my students even
has an app on his phone that cries out the Arabic chant that calls them to
prayer mid-morning.

On the first day of Ramadan, the holiday already gave us an
opportunity to build relationships and share. We broke fast with a woman that
we met on the elevator barely a week before.
This woman,
Lucy, lives up to the stereotypes of her people.
They are known for appearing much more
religious but actually behaving more wildly.
She wears a floor-length black robe over her clothes when she goes out
during the day, but she drinks, smokes, and has tattoos, which are all
considered sins to them.
Lucy’s English
is very weak, and I thought that we were just making a friend that would be
able to teach us about the culture and with whom we could practice our K language,
but we’d never be able to get deep enough in our conversation to be able to
talk about eternal things.
On our third
visit, after sharing our second meal with her, we got into a sp
conversation.
With lots of explanations and
a little acting, we carried the conversation for some time.
I even got to clearly share the Good
News!
The Father proved me wrong and
overcame the language barrier that I thought was impenetrable, and I’m glad He
did!
She’s coming over to our house for
pizza night tomorrow and we will be teaching her English a few times a week.
In this culture the list of shameful things for women seems
endless. Putting on chapstick, sweating,
and texting men (even for work matters) are all considered shameful (and
sensual). People are constantly watching
and judging each other. I sometimes
worry that hanging out with Lucy will ruin our reputation in the
community. But then I remember the
company that our Savior kept. And I
trust Him to take care of the effects of our obedience to Him.
Praises:
If you’re reading this, I’m very thankful for you!!!
I got to share most of the Good News in class on Sunday! Only one student (Ron) came, so we were
able to have a lot of conversation.
We are making more friends that are English-speaking women!
Requests:
Please ask that we are able to have good conversations over
pizza with Lucy and her husband.
Continue to lift of Naomi, Levi, Levi’s father, Kelly,
and now Lucy, that they would seek and choose the truth.
My adult classes will finish on Thursday. Please ask that my co-workers and I will be
able to follow-up with students even after classes are over.
No comments:
Post a Comment